There is a long list of stomach diseases, which can affect any person. All such diseases that are related to the stomach are termed as “gastropathy”. Stomach pain and stomach disorders are probably suffered by every person every once in a while. These stomach problems can range from being not so serious to chronic and sometimes deadly also. Of all the stomach diseases, perhaps digestive problems are the most common. Most stomach problems are attributed to attack by various infections. Stomach is the seat for digestion where the necessary enzymes and juices are produced which help in proper digestion of the food consumed. It also protects the lower intestine from bad organisms.
A list of diseases of the stomach
A healthy balance of enzymes, gastric juices and good bacteria must be maintained in the stomach to digest the food properly and protect the abdomen from foreign organism. However, this balance can be disturbed by factors such as poor lifestyle and eating habits, no exercise and a genetic predisposition also. Here are some of the prevalent gastric diseases-
- Common problems like indigestion, gastritis and GERD can hardly be a cause of concern for some, while for others they might be very problematic. The stomach lining is protected by mucus and when this mucus lining gets damaged, problems such as these can emerge. This may lead to indigestion, acidity in the stomach, nausea and vomiting, pain in the abdomen, flatulence, heartburn and bloating. If this condition becomes chronic, then it can lead to perforation in the stomach lining because of acid attack, frequent nausea and vomiting and sometimes presence of blood in the stools.
- Diarrhea is one of the other stomach diseases which can either be acute or chronic. Acute diarrhea lasts for about a week while chronic can continue for a couple of weeks or more. Chronic diarrhea can be extremely draining as it depletes the body of all fluids. It is important to go to the doctor and take the prescribed drugs to neutralize the effect of the pathogens that cause diarrhea.
- Gastro paresis is a condition in which the food lays undigested in the stomach. It can be caused due to medical conditions such as diabetes or cancers.
- Stomach cancer is a dreaded gastric disease which can be caused due to infections such as H. pylori bacteria, pernicious anemia, fluctuations in the acidity levels in the stomach, exposure to carcinogens and a genetic disposition towards the disease.
- Crohn’s disease, which is an inflammatory bowel disease, causes inflammatory ulcers in the stomach and can even cause bleeding.
Stomach diseases should not be taken lightly. If a stomach ailment or abdomen pain persists for more than a couple of days, then it is advisable to visit your doctor. With the most accurate diagnostic tools, the doctor can make assessment for occurrence of problems such as ulcers, GERD, gall bladder stones and infections. Diagnostic tools like ultrasound and endoscopy can be used to determine the presence of stomach diseases.